Write down every insight or analysis that you have in plain text. Every insight is valuable.
Why should you write everything down?
- We forget things.
- Writing our thoughts allows us to see them and then refine them.
- Writing helps us learn new information.
- Because writing is a recommended best practice:
- In school, we were taught to create reports to summarize our research, and write essays to explore our selves and our world.
- In Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity, David Allen extols the virtues of an empty mind.
Steps for a writing habit:
- Step 1: Write it down. Your thoughts can be categorized into: Fact, questions, rules, and application of rules to facts to reach a conclusion.
- Step 2: You think by writing. So, reflect on the initial fact or question you captured.
- Step 3: Revise.
- Step 4: Go to the master document and link to the idea.